Home-Selling in Baltimore:
Tips & Tricks
Preparing You Home to Show
How will the buyers see your property?
You only have one chance to make a positive first impression. No one has a more important role in the home-selling process than you, the seller. The correct staging of your home can go a long way towards achieving a successful sale at the highest price. The key words to remember in preparing your house for sale are neat and sparkling clean. Take a tour of your house as if you were the buyer.
- Remove clutter throughout, nick knacks, unnecessary furniture, etc.
- Clean blinds and make sure curtains and/or drapes are freshly laundered
- Make sure the carpets are clean and odor-free
- Clean and wax hardwood flooring
- Organize closets and cupboards
- Make sure windows and screens are clean
- Be certain that windows, screens and doors are in proper working order
- Clean the oven and dishwasher inside and out
- Clean all other appliances and make sure they are in proper working order
- Run a lemon through the garbage disposal
- Brighten interior walls with a coat of neutral paint
- Repair cracked or peeling paint, wallpaper and wood work
- Wash wall smudges and clean mirrors
- Check all light bulbs
- Clean the fireplace and/or wood stove
- Clean the furnace and replace filters
- Test all smoke detectors
- Tighten loose door knobs, towel racks, cabinet handles and switch plates
- Tighten loose stair banisters
- Check house for musty or distasteful odors
- Remove any rust or mildew
- Be sure the home is well aired and clean smelling
- Replace loose caulking or grout
- Make sure all plumbing fixtures are in proper working order
- Throw away unnecessary items
- Remove dead or dying flowers inside and out
- Touch up exterior paint
- Paint the front door
- Replace faded house numbers
- Replace old door mats
- Replace or paint weather-beaten mailbox
- Make sure the doorbell works
- Clean outdoor light fixtures
- Shine outside brass fixtures
- Clean and repair patio and deck areas
- Repair fences and gates
- Check roof shingles and replace or repair if necessary
- Remove debris from the roof
- Replace damaged bricks and rotted wood
What to Do When Listed?
It’s Show Time!
- Make beds and clean up dishes
- Empty wastebaskets
- Put away clothing
- Display show towels in bathrooms
- Freshen the air with a light scent
- Open drapes and shades
- Turn on lights
- Make sure pet areas are clean and odor-free
- Empty litter boxes
- Make sure the kitchen is clean
- Pick up toys and clutter
- Keep toilet bowl lids shut
During the Showing
- If possible try to leave the property
- Always put away your valuables
- Be flexible in the scheduling of showings
- Set a comfortable temperature on the thermostat
- Make sure all pets are confined to a safe and out-of-the-way place
- Make sure all outside trash is contained in covered bins
- Maintain the property in ready-to-show condition
- Showcase your home as if you are receiving guests
The Dangers of Overpricing
When setting a price, why not ask for the moon?
Make no mistake; we want you to get the best possible price for your property. However, when a home is priced too high for the market:
- It attracts lookers, not legitimate buyers.
- It implies that you aren’t motivated to sell.
- It reduces the number of showings.
- It helps the competition look better.
- If it doesn’t appraise at the higher price, a buyer may not be able to secure a loan.
- You may ultimately have to drop your price below market value in order to sell.
The best offers come when a property is newly listed. if priced too high, it’s difficult to create the momentum necessary to sell your home at the highest price in the least amount of time.
Factors that Affect Price
As asking price that is beyond market range can adversely affect the marketing of a property.
As a seller, you control:
- The price you ask
- Property condition
- Access to the property
- Terms of the sale
As a seller, you do not control:
- Market conditions
- Motivation of your competition
- Motivation of your buyer
- Financial market
What is the impact of pricing?
- Properties priced within market range generate more showings and offers and sell in a shorter period of time.
- Properties that are priced too high have a difficult time selling.
- Agents will preview your property and then not show it if they are finding better properties in your price range.
- Buyers will visit your property with no results if they are finding better properties in your price range.